Bullshit & Magic Moments

"I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THAT LIFE IS MADE OF THIS" ---The thoughts, hopes, dreams, complaints, grievences, and other various outbursts of a 30-something native Arizonan wife/Mother/friend/kindred spirit/cancer survivor--AND UNDIAGNOSED RAVING LUNATIC!!!(Most all images "borrowed" from Google Images-muchas gracias!)

Thursday, December 31, 2009

MAYO I Go Home Now?


July 26 - August 4, 2009.


Got home from my vacation in West Virginia the night of July 26. Came home and promptly ended up in the emergency room.


An hour later, I was flown down to Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix, AZ. (Don't let the city name of 'Scottsdale' fool you - IT'S PHOENIX!)


Most of you know this story, so I won't bore you with stats...




Layman's Term: My heart's SHOT TO HELL.

Thank you chemotherapy drugs...lessee...do I wanna die from cancer NOW or a few years down the road with a crap-assed heart disease??? 50% (HALF!!!!) of all CHF patients die within 5 years of their diagnosis. I REFUSE TO BE A STATISTIC.


The doxirubicin used in my AVBD cocktail in 2003 is what has depleted my heart. I am on 4 additional medications now (bringing my day's pill popping total to 11) and see an awesome cardiologist in Phx every month. (And a "bruthah" to boot!!!)


Woo freakin hoo. I am 36 years old and my heart is failing. WHO did I piss off to deserve THIS!? >:-<


This has been one of the hardest things in my life that I've ever had to deal with. I don't think I am still fully mentally adjusted to all of this, but what can I do? It is what it is. For all intents and purposes I am disabled now. I have a pending disability case with the Social Security Administration. I am still going to finish school though, because I am holding out in hopes that maybe some day, medicine can figure out how to fix this. If that's the case, I'ma be FIRST in line, I don't care whose toes I have to step on to get there.


I have to sleep with an oxygen machine now - and a CPAP when I can stand the feeling of a tribble sitting on my face. I can't walk more than 200 ft w/o stopping to rest. That really cuts in on my shopping trips, lemme tell you what. I have to eat a low sodium, low fat, diabetic diet (and yes, that does consist of lettuce, black coffee and nothing else!!!) but the upside off that is that since Christmas of 2008, I have lost 50 POUNDS and have KEPT IT OFF! Go me! Yay! I get SO TIRED of doctors preaching weight loss as a "cure" for everything...honestly, they ain't telling me nothing I don't already know! So save it for an idiot savant that has no clue!!!


In the future, I will have to have cardiac catherization annually to measure my heart's worth. They stick a Swan Line in a slit in my jugular and run it down into my heart to measure ejection fraction, pump volume and all that fancy stuff that I now know more about than I ever dreamed I'd have to know!


And in addition to the heart stuff, there were all kinds of lung problems too. My pulmonary health is fair-to-poor anyhow from all of the scar tissue on my lungs from past pulmonary plural effusions and all of the steps taken to rectify those illnesses. At Mayo, I had a collapsed upper lobe of my lung because all of the fluid backed up in my lungs was crushing them. The day I had the thorocentesis - I thought I was going to die. I have a nice pulmonologist @ Mayo Clinic and he keeps an eye on me. In addition to the CHF, I also have restrictive lung disease. Fun stuff, lemmee tell ya.

So, that's the gist of that and one of the main reasons WHY I haven't been on here in forever. Aside from my old computer crashing in August 2009.


Ob-la-da, Ob-la-di, Life goes oooonnnnn.....

2 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, January 02, 2010 , Blogger Stormy said...

I wish I could give you answers, but I can't. I know that you are not done on this earth yet.

So, just take your meds and be a good girl. *it's what I tell Patches!* ;-)

Take care, Jodi.

 
At 12:55 PM, January 02, 2010 , Blogger *~JoDi~* said...

And I am sure I respond similar to Patches: *HIIISSSSSS*

:p

FFFTT! FFFTTT!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home