

I spent most of Saturday night delivering 6 (2 of which were stillborns) of the most precious little lives into this world! My Beagle-y had her PUPS! Aren't they so tiny and adorable?
She started about mid-night with the first one that didn't survive. I was so sad for that little one! I was also very sad that Hannah had chosen my daughter, Bayleigh's, room to have these puppies, forsaking her nice bed we'd put together for her and just tearin' up some carpet in that kid's room!
About an hour later, "Cooper" and "Madison" came along almost one right after the other! Not much happened for about an hour after that; Bayleigh and I sat and watched Hannah interact with her new babies. She was bound and determined that numbers 2 and 3 wouldn't suffer the fate of #1, as she constantly was rooting them and nudging them. #4 came about 1:30a and was also stillborn. I am glad that I was there to help her, because #4 was a hard birth. She was pushing so hard her little teeth were chattering! So, after #4 at around 3am, I dozed off in the floor next to her.
Lo and behold at around 5a I woke up to find "Belle" also wiggling around with her brother and sister. I carefully inspected the new baby and told Mom, "Good job!" because she'd done that one all alone! I know I was half asleep, but it almost seemed like Hannah BEAMED with pride.
After about 45 mins., I dozed off again, slumped against the wall on Bayleigh's bed. I'd found my way beneath the covers some time before Ralph arrived home after his night shift at around 8a. He shook me and asked "How many?" I said "3". He shook me awake again and declared, "I might be tired, but I see FOUR puppies down there!" I lurched awake and examined the towel-covered floor and sure enough - there was "Kasey". 3 girls and 1 boy. Hannah was a Mommy and Kolby was their Daddy!
Ralph moved the big whelping box we'd made Hannah into Bayleigh's room. I knew if we moved her puppies out of there, she'd just move them back. I've had much experience with new doggie mommies and their babies. After we relocated her to the bed, with the puppies and one of the towels used for birthing, so they could learn her smell (and yes, I am sorry for the graphic photos, but IT'S LIFE - deal with it - and they just haven't invented clean, sterile "Dog Delivery" facilities YET - I am SURE those are forthcoming!), everyone seemed to settle right into things. Hannah seems like a natural at this mothering thing!
She's been doing very well with them. They are all FAT and wiggle a LOT. 3 of them are buff/peanut butter colored (Kolby comes from diverse colors and could have thrown EVERY color of pup in the Cocker Spaniel rainbow - so of course, I get standard [boring] ASCOB buff puppies!!) and 1 is white with caramel colored markings like Mommy. Every time I go into the room, she's in the box with the 4 little hungry mouths affixed to her. She doesn't seem to mind. After the hard life she had before she came to us, she deserves to be happy and have healthy, active babies!
I'll be posting photos as the weeks leading up to new homes pass. Just wanted to share our little blessings with you! :o)
P.S. We haven't decided yet if we should call them "COCKLES" or "BOCKERS"? :p
2 Comments:
Cool! It's amazing isn't it.
Cute pups too.
The puppies are adorable...I remember well, sitting through Sheekah's (moggie) delivery, it was wonderful...If I was to have a dog it would be a Beagle...They are gorgeous...cheers..xxx
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home