Bullshit & Magic Moments

"I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THAT LIFE IS MADE OF THIS" ---The thoughts, hopes, dreams, complaints, grievences, and other various outbursts of a 30-something native Arizonan wife/Mother/friend/kindred spirit/cancer survivor--AND UNDIAGNOSED RAVING LUNATIC!!!(Most all images "borrowed" from Google Images-muchas gracias!)

Friday, November 28, 2008

UPDATE ON A MIRACLE!


Well I am WAY happy to post this: Baby Daycen is doing FINE! I spoke with his Mom this week in regards to some insurance and billing information and she explained to me what all was going on with him.

He was born with what is called a choanal atresia – an occlusion of the nasal passages. READ HERE about it – I am NOT a big fan of Wikipedia, but as a Medical Student, these are the words that most people might understand best. Simply put: HE WASN'T ABLE TO BREATHE ON HIS OWN - and babies are nasal breathers - that's just the way that God made them!

Anyhow he was born 10/28/08 and on 10/31/08 he had the first of many sets to come of stints put in place in the nostril to help him breathe. Well, the day that he stopped breathing and Mommy brought him to Urgent Care, the stints had irritated the adenoids in the back of the throat and they’d swollen shut, causing the ceasing of breathing.

After the EMS crews took him to the hospital here in town on 11/21/08, he was stabilized for 12 hours, and then flown to Phoenix Children’s Hospital on 11/22/2008. There was no surgeon on staff that day that could perform the surgery Daycen needed but on Sunday 11/23 there was a surgeon who removed the stints and placed different ones in his nose so he could breathe. The stints help the nasal passages to grow and form the correct way so that hopefully someday, Daycen will be 100% normal.

Whatever THAT is.

I also spoke this week to our FNP-C (family nurse practitioner, certified) who worked on the baby (this is the first time we’ve seen each other) and she said that for all intents and purposes, that Daycen was indeed DEAD when Mom brought him in. If she’s waited just another minute, he wouldn’t have made it. But he did. And it was so awesome to be a part of all that saved him!

Mom and baby are doing fine. He’s been through a lot in his little one month of life. He’s God’s Little Miracle – for some reason, this one was meant to live.

1 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, November 30, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for updating us on little Daycen! Ever since I read your blog about that day with him, I have been thinking about him so much and wondering what happened to him. I am SO~OO glad that he is okay now and that he is going to be fine (for the most part). It is so~oo amazing what the help of a few innocent people can do to a person's life and to save a baby's life like that is just breathtaking. It makes me cry everytime I think about it. You all were angels that day and, hopefully, some day his mom will tell him what happened and he will be forever thankful to all of you for saving his life the way you did. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home