THREE CHEERS FOR THE WORKING WOMAN!

I’ll tell ya what—I don’t think I’ve been THIS TIRED since….CHILDBIRTH (OK, well, in my case, SURGERY)!
OMG- the vivid reminder I got this week of HOW out of shape I am has only motivated me to get into BETTER shape. I’ve never been one for exercise and working out (bet you couldn’t tell, huh!?!?!) but this job is a kick in the pants and quite the challenge. I think once I get toned up and used to having my arms waving around for 5-9 hours a day, things will get easier. Small price to pay for 4 days with my kids.
I am proud of myself thus far because I haven’t caved. I’ve also learned how to fold FITTED sheets WITHOUT wrinkles in them! Usually, they come off my bed, get washed, dried, and then go right back ON the bed…not anymore!
The breakfast shift goes by the quickest. I am still on my guard because I’ve heard that the supervisor (we’ll call her “Beehive”) will cut you down first chance she gets. Oh well, I’ve still got youth on my side as far as she’s concerned. At 68, she really should be retired!
And also, this job is humbling, but in a GOOD way. I’ve always had respect for those “behind the scenes” kind of workers. Hotel housekeepers, laundry attendants, maintenance workers, waiters/waitresses, short order cooks—you get the idea. “The Little People.” Without them, luxuries and conveniences for others would cease to exist, and in my opinion, TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE FORGOTTEN THIS. People complain about the poor customer service they get when they go out to places…well, could it be because you get what you give? I’ve always heard (as a woman) that the first time you go to dinner with a new male acquaintance, that you can tell a LOT about him from the way he treats the server waiting on your table. This is SO true. If someone is nice to me, I will be nice back to him/her. If I get good service, I tip generously. Believe me, people who work for tips WILL remember you if you were a wonderful tipper….they will also remember you if you are rude, difficult and don’t leave a tip or under-tip. And they will talk about you to all of the other people who work there, too. Oh yeah, the whole staff will know YOU! So making a good impression is TOTALLY in your favor! I highly recommend it!
In another aspect, working for a company that takes care of their staff is also a benefit. I have a friend that used to work as a checker at a grocery store and she said that this store paid their workers rather well and had great benefits because the company believed in TAKING CARE OF THEIR OWN. When you’re happy in a job and know that the big wigs are on YOUR side, it makes things a lot less stressful. I feel like I have this at Marriott. The hotel general manager is very close to everyone on the staff and truly cares about us. That gives me piece of mind. To her, I am not JUST another warm, expendable body. I feel like I matter and try to make sure that I do a proper and commendable job while I am there. GOOD bosses recognize and reward things like that. I’ve worked for some jackasses that could have cared less what kind of job I did. Several past jobs are coming to mind at this moment…oh well—I like to think in hindsight that they realized what a good thing they lost when I left. I guess if I am to be called “weak” for caring and giving a damn about my job and the people I had to deal with day-to-day, then I am weak. Every job has personal aspects…and I tended to take mine seriously. Last time I checked, that was called PRIDE. Damn me for being PROUD. * SCOFF * >:-/
OK, OK…I am off my soap box now. This is my only day off for the next 4 days, so I should get off my ass and take a little pride in the appearance of my home for today. LOL.
Take care, be well, and REMEMBER TO REST…”a rested field sows a beautiful crop”….






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home