Sorry Ma'am - It's POLICY

OK…so I guess I am pretty much blowing my top today, because “Society” is a bunch of jerks, for the most part. Nevermind that I haven't updated this thing in over a month...I've been busy. What can I say? *Jodi gets out soap box & dusts it off*
Here's my delimma:
My oldest baby girl is getting over the flu. She was down HARD this weekend. She still has the residual cough. Yesterday neither one of us thought about giving her the medication while she was at school. Yes, I know, I’m a BAD MOM. She came home from school, and we decided that today, I would send the medication with a note so she could have her noon time dose.
This morning, I write out the note, enclose the Day-Quil in its original box, all lot numbers match – I even throw in some cough drops (AND their original bag they came in!) because I love my daughter and I know that she hates to cough. I put everything, original packaging and all in a quart sized Zip-loc bag and send Miss Thang on her way this morning.
Not an hour later I get a phone call from the school nurse. She and I have a history. I personally think she’s only the SCHOOL nurse because she can’t cut it as a REAL Nurse, but that’s my one-sided opinion and I am entitled to it.
“Mrs. H. – we (meaning SHE) cannot give B. the medication you sent with her because the packaging was not sealed.”
“Um…it’s in a blister pack. Check the lot numbers – I promise you it’s all the same & safe for her to have.”
“As correct as you are (: AS WRONG AS YOU ARE), school district policy forbids administration of medications to children if the box has been opened.”
“She’s been sick a week now…can’t you just let it go today? I am sure she’ll feel better tomorrow and we won’t need to bother with this.”
“I’m sorry, Mrs. H. (: I don’t really care, Mrs. H.) It’s really out of my hands (: I really don’t want to do any more work than I possibly HAVE to).”
“OK, well, I suppose that goes for the cough drops, too, right?”
“Oh no. We can give her the cough drops every 2 hours as directed on the packaging.”
Right about HERE, my blood begins to boil.
“Wait a minute – you mean to tell me that she can have cough drops from an opened package, but not a gel-cap out of a sealed blister pack that came from a box that’s already been opened?” Steady, Jodi…
“That is correct. (:Neener, neener, dirty wiener. )”
>:-/
Apparently my silence disturbed her because she THEN said:
“But YOU can come down to the school and administer the medication to B yourself.”
THEN WHAT THE HECK IS THE SCHOOL PAYING YOU FOR!??!?!?
At this point I have to hang up because I am about to go into full-on Julia Sugarbaker mode, only I wouldn’t have been so “Southern Belle” about it. I would have told her straight up that her and the district’s stupid-assed policy could kiss MY ass.
When did this world get so STOOPID? When did all of these POLICIES evolve? And why do SO many of them contradict OTHER policies? I mean how blatantly idiotic can you be!? I am aware that a lot of policies and laws have been enacted to HELP people and to benefit the human race. I’m not stupid myself, mind you. I just don’t understand why all the ones that slipped through the cracks – some of the most moronic rules there are – are the ones that people uphold and blurt out every chance they get? That’s what I don’t get?
I could probably spend the rest of my life pondering that question and still never get anywhere. That’s TRULY what bothers me. There’s no making heads or tails out of some of it.
This is why *I* should be in politics. Me and Ted Nugent and Maricopa County (AZ) Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
;-)






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home