A New Home For Hannah

“’O’Hannah’ means ‘family’ and family means no one gets left behind….”
What a whirlwind of a weekend! Besides the SLOW DRIVERS of Prescott impeding my way on the streets, it turned out to be a very interesting weekend.
Friday was hectic with people flooding in at the hotel. There was a golf tournament group from my hometown that checked in and in that group of middle-aged men was 2 of my high school teachers and my childhood dentist – ALL of who claimed they still remembered me! What a trip. It was nice to reminisce and catch up with what everyone’s been doing. They all said they don't get to see former students/patients very often so it's nice when they get to :-)
Saturday was a NICE PEACEFUL night at work with NO ONE whining about any thing, wanting things that were highly unreasonable or pestering us at the desk in general. I wish more nights could be like that!
And yesterday was a long 9-hour day at work for me. When it was time for the housekeepers to get off work, one of them came up to me and asked if I knew anyone who wanted a dog. I asked what kind of dog, since I promised Ralph we could get a big dog once we moved into the house. She said it was a 3 yr old female Beagle. OK, not exactly a “big dog” but big enough…the housekeeper told me the dog was at her neighbor’s house and that those people were mistreating the dog. They leave her tied to a tree, don’t feed or water her daily and Thursday they left her out in the elements during a HAILSTORM with no shelter whatsoever.
I told her to bring me the dog.
She did and now we’ve got a little Beagle named Hannah. Ralph likes her and says he can wait awhile longer before we get a “big dog”. I told him sometimes a little dog with a big heart is just as good. Hannah is sweet and highly un-socialized. She’s afraid of her own shadow. I’ve just been petting her and talking to her. She comes to me fairly easy and doesn’t bite or scratch. I haven’t seen her wag her tail yet, but I’ve got hope. I am hoping she will see how happy Kolby is and know that she can trust us.
We had to stay @ the hotel last night because there’s no natural gas on in our house yet (and I found out today that there WON’T be until Friday 9/15!!!! GRRRR! >:-/) and all the furniture (except for one end table, my computer desk and the kitchen table and chairs) has been removed from the apt and is in the house now, so it was easier for us to sleep @ the hotel last night where we wouldn’t have to bunk on the floor. I took Hannah with us. As soon as I put her up on the bed with Kaylin and I, she flopped down and rolled over and SLEPT. Hard. I think last night was the first time in a long time she’s felt safe. Although she’s not physically hurt, you can tell by looking in her eyes that she’s never received the love a furry friend deserves. Hopefully it won’t take her long to realize she’s in a better place now.
Today I’ve got to get a bunch of little basic things moved. Shouldn’t take very long. I hope to have most of it knocked out by the time Ralph gets up this afternoon.
And it is with a heavy heart that I work my way through this day with it being 5 years gone from the World Trade Center attacks of September 11, 2001. I remember sitting in awe, 8 months pregnant with Kaylin, that morning not knowing what to believe and not knowing what the future held for the child that I had at home and the one I was about to give birth to. I know they don’t understand, but we’ve lived our lives as we would were there no such thing as “terrorism”….and thing that barely existed in my childhood, a word unheard of and unknown in meaning back then. Things are definitely different now. I just hope that I have the strength and wisdom to guide and direct them as they grow. But live our lives in fear, we shall not. Never. I have my flag out today. It has a great meaning to me with one member of our family gone, a casualty of war.
But alas….my toil awaits me! I bid you farewell for now. I’ll be back when I can!
Bye Y'all! :-)






2 Comments:
Ah...what a cute little dog. That was great of you to adopt her.
With love and time, Hannah will be the happiest little dog.
Good job, Jodi!!
Oh Stormy - she's SOOO sweet!
She finally started wagging her tail and she doesn't flinch every time you come near her. She seems so much happier now.
She's even taken up with Ralph and sleeps all night with the girls. She's a DOLL and I am so glad we adopted her! :o)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home