Bullshit & Magic Moments

"I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THAT LIFE IS MADE OF THIS" ---The thoughts, hopes, dreams, complaints, grievences, and other various outbursts of a 30-something native Arizonan wife/Mother/friend/kindred spirit/cancer survivor--AND UNDIAGNOSED RAVING LUNATIC!!!(Most all images "borrowed" from Google Images-muchas gracias!)

Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Things We Do For The Ones We Love....

I have SOOO many other things i could blog about - and probably will over this weekend - but starting on Jan 12th, 2008, my focus for the next 2 months is getting my girls through Girl Scout Cookie Selling Season.

God have mercy on my soul.

This is an American icon that many people feel very differently about. I've been praised by generations of former Girl Scouts, telling me how selling cookies helped shape them and how successful any rewarding their lives have been because of the direction that GS gave them. I've also been criticized for helping "the Man" use little girls as "pawns in the game" of mass merchandising. I've also been ridiculed for helping to promote the fact that cookies are NOT nutritious food and therefore I am glamorizing obesity. I've also been damn near line-tackled in hugs that proclaim, "THIN MINTS! I WANT A CASE OF THIN MINTS!!!!!"

Sometimes I just don't know what to think.

But today - I think GS cookies RAWK. I love what being in GS is doing for MY daughters and how much self-respect and self-esteem they have. I never got to be in GS when I was young and I SWORE I was going to be the Mom that did these things with my kids no matter what sacrifices I had to make. I don't FORCE them to and I don't live vicariously through them. I introduced them to scouting and they LOVE IT - love the meetings, the functions and selling the cookies!

I also hear a LOT of complaints about how EXPENSIVE they are. In this day and age of the WORST inflation we've seen in almost 20 years, $4/box is NOT a steep price. Hell, the Peperidge Farm Christmas Assortment was $6/box - and nobody but the bakers profited from them! Buying one box and supporting your favorite troop WILL NOT bankrupt you - I guarantee. And you should enjoy them while you can - they only come once a year and they are like a fine churned egg nog, a just-so-properly dried out package of Peeps or ripened to the peak of perfection summer berries: They don't last long. ENJOY and RELISH them!!!!!!



So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. And if you don't want any cookies, I think you're a stick in the mud who doesn't know how to enjoy life. Just say "No, thank you" and spare me your philosophical reasons on WHY Girl Scout cookies were devised by the Devil himself to ruin your New Year's resolution to lose weight.


As for us - we're ordering a CASE of Samoas this year because 3 boxes just doesn't go very far in this house! :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home