Bullshit & Magic Moments

"I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THAT LIFE IS MADE OF THIS" ---The thoughts, hopes, dreams, complaints, grievences, and other various outbursts of a 30-something native Arizonan wife/Mother/friend/kindred spirit/cancer survivor--AND UNDIAGNOSED RAVING LUNATIC!!!(Most all images "borrowed" from Google Images-muchas gracias!)

Friday, August 17, 2007

Black Velvet

A few days ago, my DH (it can stand for DEAR Husband or DAMNED Husband – whatever I am in the mood for – today it’s the former.) and I went prowling through “consignment antique stores”. That’s just a fancy name for JUNK SHOPS, all right?


I came upon a space that was FULL of Elvis memorabilia. I thought for a moment that we are only 3 weeks out form the anniversary of his death – how odd that someone would be selling all of those items. Then I noticed that an Estate House was handling the sale and I realized that the previous owner of those items had probably gone to his or her grave worshipping the man that was Elvis Aron Presley. Then I saw THIS PHOTO (I can’t believe I found a copy of it on line!!) in a frame. So simple. So intriguing. So “Elvis”.


Oline refers to the lesser desirable of his traits in her blog post from August 16th. I agree. None of us are (were) perfect, including that boy from Memphis. But somehow, he continues to inspire and influence people of all ages, from all backgrounds, in all arenas. Even people who were born LONG after he died still site him as one of the best-loved and most prevalent performers of all time. In my book, he was pretty friggin' cool. I am more about loving the music and the voice more than the man, though, so that’s my prerogative.


I remember being at my Mom’s place of employment the day he died, August 16, 1977. It was also my Gram's 62nd birthday! Me, her and my Mom was out on the floor (she worked at a huge department store) looking for school clothes for me when they called my Mom back to her department over the P.A. system. She didn’t seem too phased. I was only 4 ½ years old – what did I know? But I do recall that night when she got home from work; she had a large bag FULL of Elvis albums. She sat alone in our formal living room that night, listening to those records and if I recall correctly, sipping a Jack & Coke. For some reason, that image of my Mother is bold and vivid in my memory.



It’s only NOW that I am an adult and have gotten to know what a complex and beautiful human being she is that I understand how his death affected her and millions of other people around the world. What would music BE LIKE today if he were still here? What would it be like to have Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison collaborating on a joint musical endeavor? How would it have affected music, as we know it? I ponder this question often, as music is a crucial component and driving force in my life.



I just hope that when I die – I go to the place where all of the Old Musicians are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home