In Memorium ~ 2008
I read an article earlier today that cited that “2008 was a bad year for staying alive.”
There are a few that I could care about more than the others…

HEATH LEDGER: As I have grown to favor cinematic endeavors over the last 3 years, I’d really grown to LOVE Heath’s work. I’ve heard many people who wrote about him describe him as an “old soul in a young body”. I felt like I knew exactly what they meant even before I’d ever heard that term. It’s sad that he will never again spark the status quo in any movie. He was definitely Oscar-worthy and should have for all intents and purposes (in my humble opinion) won that Oscar for “Brokeback Mountain”. I will truly miss his impeccable handsome face and his deep and substantial talent.

PAUL NEWMAN: The same (as for Heath) goes for Paul Newman. My interest in cinema and a cheap membership to Netflix have let me check out movies that were made way before my time. Hell, they were made way before my parent’s time back when it was my Grandparents’ times! I knew early on when I first saw Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid that Paul Newman was an important man, the way people would talk about him, describe him and dote on him. That movie was/is 3 years older than me, and I feel like I’m older than dirt most days and I knew even then that he was of importance in The World As I Knew It. As the 70’s melded into the 80’s and he created Newman’s Own and I became old enough to realize that this actor turned race car driver turned philanthropist was an outstanding and influential –AND VERY HANDSOME- piece of Americana. And there will never be another one like him. Ever. Period. End of Story.

GEORGE CARLIN: Now I like to think that I have a very extensive sense of humor. I can appreciate black humor, I can appreciate Latino humor, I can even appreciate humor that’s NOT even funny…but George Carlin was THE TOPS in comedy and he got it started for me when I was about 8 years old. My Dad had the LP version of “Seven Dirty Words You Can’t Say On TV”. When I would ask to borrow Beatles, Beach Boys & Three Dog Night albums from my parent’s collections to listen to, I would always slip George in there then hurry off to my room. I would turn my stereo way down and listen and giggle, because even at such an early age, I could appreciate AND COMPREHEND comedic excellence (don't ever think your 8 yr old doesn't know what's going on - they can play hi-tech video games & kick your ass at them, so don't put anything past them!!!) . George could take any serious situation, politics or world events and make you see the lighter side of it. One of his last stand ups was filmed right after 9/11 and the confidence he exudes over such a touchy subject is the stuff that comedy legends are made of. Never one to avoid pushing the bar, George will be SORELY missed in my life. I also highly recommend the book, Napalm & Silly Putty to EVERYONE!!!!

BO DIDDLEY: Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE music. All kinds, all types – if it can be classified as some type of music, I will give it a whirl before I pass a judgment on it. And although this one slipped through my “knowledge net” when it happened, when I learned of this one, I wept a silent tear. Bo was incredibly influential and powerful in music and is a truly respected pioneer. He’s the reason why rhythm & blues is still as hard and enduring today as it is. A friend of mine got to see Bo perform in Laughlin, NV last year and she said that it was awe-inspiring to sit there and watch that man perform. He’d have to be DA BOMB to have influenced the likes of Buddy Holly, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix & Elvis Presley. I’ve heard plenty of talk this year about “carbon footprints” but to leave a musical footprint on the ENTIRE WORLD FOR ALL OF ETERNITY is something that not very many people have accomplished. Long live “The Originator”.
BETTE PAGE: She was a part of a world and culture I didn’t even come to understand until about 17 years ago. But I LOVE her! She was one of the primary founders in the sex industry – you have to admit that! All of those very forbidden fetish photos she did way back when! My own FATHER has admitted that he was attracted to her when he was younger (“ICK FACTOR” aside, my father IS a red-blooded American Redneck Male.). Although her life since all the Playboy fanfare has been somewhat obscured and there are varying reports of “was she or wasn’t she committed to a mental hospital?” or “was she or wasn’t she denied membership in the Baptist church because she’d been divorced?” will never be truly be known…the truth she took with her to the grave 4 days after my birthday this year. All that will live is speculation and rumors, which as we all have seen in the legacy of Marilyn Monroe, can be VERY painful and confusing. I’ve always thought that she was lovely. She had classic beauty with an exotic aftertaste. There will NEVER be another Bettie Page – no matter how many look-alikes are out there now the “Pin Up Girl of The World, 1955” will forever live in my heart.

JERRY REED: I cannot tell you how long and hard I had to look before the age of the Internet to find a decent recording of “Pretty Mary Sunlight”. Yes, I know it’s a rather obscure song from Jerry’s “guest appearance” on the episode of the New Scooby Doo Movies: “The Phantom of the Country Music Hall” – which also aired 2 days after I was born in 1972, (--thank you very much. I can’t help but think that some of these people that were so influential in different areas of pop culture and Americana having occurrences happen around my birthday is somewhat of a paranormal phenomenon, but that’s another blog for another day!) but it’s one of the songs I will remember him for. That and Amos Moses and playing “The Snowman” on Smokey & The Bandit. I am NOT ashamed to admit to my Redneck Roots! So long Jerry ~ maybe I’ll hear you singing on down the line.






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home