Bullshit & Magic Moments

"I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THAT LIFE IS MADE OF THIS" ---The thoughts, hopes, dreams, complaints, grievences, and other various outbursts of a 30-something native Arizonan wife/Mother/friend/kindred spirit/cancer survivor--AND UNDIAGNOSED RAVING LUNATIC!!!(Most all images "borrowed" from Google Images-muchas gracias!)

Monday, January 05, 2009

More Of A Life Review Than A Movie Review...



Went and saw this movie last night.


Now, let me say first: I READ THE BOOK. This movie only makes about halfway sense if you didn’t read the book. Had they included everything that was published in the book, this movie would have been about 4 hours long.



A LOT of people have been saying this movie sucks. I don’t know if they read the book or not, but if you’re NOT a “Dog Person” this movie is NOT for you. If you’re tender hearted and are afraid of people seeing you cry in public, this movie is NOT for you. If you’ve ever loved and lost a pet and it was almost too much for you to handle, this movie is NOT for you.

Other than that, I liked it a lot. I took my 2 daughters with me to see it. Kaylin is the younger of the two @ 7 yrs old and she didn’t “get” a lot of it. She just thought that the dog was cute. Bayleigh is my older daughter @ 11 yrs old and this movie pulled @ her heartstrings. She realized a lot of things last night – and I am hoping that one of those things is that I’m a cool mom who won’t ever tell her that people are looking and she needs to stop blubbering.

We’ve got a strange mix of our own “Marley”. Yes, we do have a 9-month-old, 70-pound Black Labrador retriever who is about to chew us out of house & home like the dog in the movie did. But we’ve also got a 14-year-old Cocker Spaniel who has been with us through thick and thin and who isn’t going to be with us much longer.


At the end of the movie when Owen Wilson’s character (John Grogan) is having his “moment” with Marley before the vet puts him to sleep (SPOILER!), he was telling Marley just how much of a great dog he was and what a difference he made in his life and the lives of the other family members. That’s how we feel about Kolby and it really touched me to see Bayleigh realize that last night and then explain her feelings to me. I think I cried more over her than the movie! It’s really amazing to watch your children grow up and this will be one of those milestones that I won’t soon forget.

I loved this book, I liked the movie. I LOVE the message that John Grogan conveys to the reader. There’s much more insight in the book than the movie. PLEASE take the time to read it before you see the movie or else you will feel very jipped.

Oh – and don’t forget Kleenex. LOTS and LOTS of Kleenex!

3 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, January 05, 2009 , Blogger Nicki said...

You're supposed to say spoiler BEFORE you tell it!!! Now I can't see the movie or write the book. Thanks a lot.

A couple of years ago, I got to say goodbye to my mom's dog and thank him for being so good to my mom when it was getting close to his time. I thank the Big Guy for giving me that chance, since I only get down there once or twice a year.

Christ. I'm crying now. Thanks a lot.

 
At 7:25 PM, January 05, 2009 , Blogger *~JoDi~* said...

You can't WRITE the book - it's already been written.

:p - I know what you meant.

Sorry about the spoiler, but I thought you'd already read the book. It says on the back jacket what happens, so don't blame me.

Don't cry...it is hard to lose pets, but it's a part of life. Love your furry friends while you can so they KNOW they had a good life when they go.

 
At 6:27 AM, January 07, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've always had German Shepherds/Alsations and I miss them all, still. Even when I see one that reminds me of one of them it makes me blub a wee bit!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home