"Lord Give Me Strength..."
"...to accept the things that I cannot change and give me patience TO KEEP FROM CHOKING MY CHILDREN."
*SIGH*
I get a phone call form my MOM earlier today about my oldest daughter, Bayleigh. Apparently, my 6 and a half yr old first grader is already headed down the wrong path. She had her first spelling test yesterday at school and SHE GOT A ZERO. How do you get a zero when your words are "cat" "bat" "sat"....and you can READ these words....but you can't remember them!?
I feel like part of it is my fault for being so out of touch with her this last week while "LIFE" was happening and I was getting adjusted to my work schedule, etc. I should have helped her study more. I thought she was doing well!? I am marking this as a flag, though, as my Mother thinks that Bay has ADD. I am going to watch and pay close attention to her and monitor her progress over the next couple of weeks. There's a BIG DIFFERENCE between test anxiety and having a developmental disorder!
And another thing....why didn't my Mother care so much about *MY* development when I was in school!? There were times I struggled and barely kept my head above water and neither one of them seemed to care!? I mean hindsight is 20/20, and I know if I'd have gotten math tutors, I would have had more skills on applying myself and I probably could have taken my education a lot further than I have! :( I still say that my Mom and Dad are trying to "DO OVER" raising Bayleigh and Kaylin because there's things they wish they'd done different with me. That's just my opinion, though. Take it for what it's worth. I've been told that's not true, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that's what they are doing.
Jesus...no wonder I am medicated.






2 Comments:
Jodi,
I don't think that Bayleigh is heading down a wrong path. This is just a part of her learning process. There will be tests where she gets all of them wrong and somedays she will get them all right. Sure, it is disappointing to see a bad test, but it is life.
I have been there, done that with my child.
Parents back in our day didn't even consider getting tutors. We were screwed over by so many things.
One thing we did with Rachel, we would go over any spelling words with her before she left for school. That kept it in her mind as her tests were always first thing.
Don't be too hard on Bayleigh. It's hard on them when they disappoint Mom and Dad.
Encourage and work with her.
Good luck and keep me posted.
Oh I don't intend to be "hard" on her..I just want her to be motivated to learn. I don't want her to end up being a HS drop out and Mom @ age 15. You know me--I FRET over EVERYTHING and it's just part of my nature, being a worry-wart and all! I just want her to know the value of a solid education, and I feel the earlier we start with that, the better off we are. I am just happy that Ralph is willing to pitch in and help, too. It's amazing how much better he's acting recently!? I am pleasantly surprised! :) Thanks for the advice...I'll remember the thing about doing the words before she leaves for school! That's great!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home