There's A Fungus Among Us! (:-O

Oh yes, my friends, there IS a fungus among us. And there’s a slim chance THAT is what’s been making me sick.
OK, let me go back to the beginning….
Last summer, 4...5...or 6 (I never knew exactly how many people were living there?) Hispanic men moved into the apt beside mine. They were nothing but rude, dirty, nasty neighbors from the get-go. They were always taking our parking spaces, or blocking us in with their cars. They were all painters and/or laborers and they kept chemicals in their storage shed and sitting out on their front porch. They would have other guys over and have these outdoor “parties” well into the wee morning hours. They would urinate in Coke bottles and leave them sitting around outside…I mean we are talking the Neighbors From Hell. I had to fight with the rental agency to do something and when I finally confronted them with about 50 photos of what these jerk wads had been doing, they FINALLY got up off their asses and did something. I mean it was to the point where my girls couldn’t play in their own yard because of these people and the hazards they were imposing on my family.
Well, the week before Christmas, I noticed that they were all leaving with big bags and suitcases; 4 of them to a car. I was so wrapped up in the holidays, I didn’t care much. I figured they were just going to Mexico to spend the holiday with family and that they’d be back.
Fast forward 3 weeks. On or around 1/11/06, a lady from the rental agency knocked on my door. I’d just gotten out of the shower and was rushing to find my robe and cover up. By the time I answered the door she was gone, but had left a beautiful little intent letter taped to my door. I about freaked until I saw that it said JESUS MUNOZ, #102. Well, I am NOT in #102 and apparently that bitch was some kind of blind because she didn’t see my apt numbers nailed to the door facing (they are about 3” tall apiece!) of the door that she taped this letter onto. Fucktard. Well I moved the letter over to their door and called the rental agency. I told them what I did, but that those guys had been gone for over 2 weeks now. I felt like she wasn’t listening to a word I said, so fuck her.
OK..fast forward 5-6 more days: mail is falling out of apt #102’s box. There’s notices taped all over their door. The next day (1/18/06), I had slept in until noon because I’d had a micro-breakdown the night before from being full on exhausted from being up for 18 hours the day before on only about 5 hours of sleep. YES I AM A BIG SLEEP WUSSY…wanna make something of it?!?!?!? Anyhow, Ralph comes to get me up and he’s all aflutter with news.
Long story short: those assholes did move out right before Christmas, but not before they plugged every drain in the house and turned on all of the faucets they could. By the time Service Master got to that apt on 1/18/06, there was at least an inch of raw sewage standing in the apt. There is toxic black mold EVERYWHERE in that place. So much so that they hung up biohazard signs all over the doors and windows. The guys that go in there were haz-mat suits and respirators. They had to GUT the apartment—LITERALLY. All of the walls are gone, the appliances, the cabinets, the carpet and padding—EVERYTHING. The mold had gotten to the studs and had started breaking everything down. Well, we looked THEN in on our side to see if any of the water had soaked in and we couldn’t find anything AT THAT TIME. OK, keep in mind, too, that the rental agency has NOT CALLED US AT ALL to advise if we should stay here, leave or what. I mean if it were SAFE to stay here, why are the cleaners wearing full body protection and wearing respirators!?!?!?!
Well, another long story short: yesterday I found MOLD from the raw sewage spill in on my side. All of the walls that are next to that apt have it. Our bedroom (the worst), the girls bedroom, and our bathroom. The Service Master guy came today and tested everything and said that all of the carpet will need to be replaced, but they can’t tear it up with us in the house because it will contaminate the air with mold spores.
So, I’ve been at my wit’s end today. I don’t know if this is why I’ve been sick and on 12/21 my Dr put me on Levalbuterol that I take through an SVN. And STOOPID me has been taking my breathing treatments in the SAME ROOM where there is this mold growing (our bedroom). I’ve read about sick building syndrome and I’ve also read that there’s NO PROOF that mold makes us sick. So why do 100% of the people who claimed these illnesses feel 100% better after the clean ups and disinfections? I could catch Hepatitis A, rashes, pneumonia (I wonder if this is why I had FOUR bouts with it last year? Mold could have started growing a LONG time ago…in fact it starts growing within 24 hours after the spores settle!!!!) I am just tore up over all of this and if something happens and you don’t hear from me—check up on me. Please.
I plan to spend some time dealing with the rental company. I called her about the mold and she said that she’d send SM out (like she did) but he went to talk to them after he tested our apt., and I’ve still not heard from ANYONE. They wanted to up our rent upon renewal, but she advised me yesterday, “Let’s not worry about you renewing right now.” GEE, LADY—YA THINK!?!?!? F*CKING CRAZY BITCH! Arrrrggg! I am peeved to no end. I am also researching what rights I have as a renter and what kinds of tests there are for me to take and what not. There will be some recourse from this…I am not sure HOW but there will be. I guarantee. I already got my pets out of the house, but there’s nowhere for all 4 of us to sleep. I’ve got the contaminated areas quarantined and we’re sleeping in the living room for now. This incident has me shaken to the core because of all of the risks.
Please cross your fingers or pray for me or SOMETHING. ANYTHING. I live with a compromised immune system every day of my life (thank you, chemotherapy!). It’s a stigmata that I can’t do anything about. But right now, I am doing everything I can to remain well.
I’ll keep everyone updated best I can. Thanks for listening.






0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home