Good Enough For The Pontiff, Too?
Gee..they are letting Terri Shiavo starve to death...maybe we should pull the Pope's tube, too!?
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-03/31/content_429772.htm
I could post a novel on this topic, but for now, let's just say the whole Terri Shiavo situation enrages me to no end.






3 Comments:
It's a damn good thing the Pope is over in Italy. Don't come to the United States for medical treatment...we'll kill your sorry ass. Feeding tubes? Didn't you watch that woman starve to death? Don't you get it?!
This whole thing angers me. As hubby pointed out, we keep mass murderers alive for 20-30 years on death row--FEED their sorry asses and let their lawyers appeal til the loser is dead by natural causes.
Instead, the US picks on a woman who is helpless to save herself and is at the mercy of her husband. A rather dumb husband at that. I feel nothing for him--nothing at all. I hope he needs a feeding tube one day....what comes around goes around.
He didn't give her life...but he's making sure he gives her death.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on that. This woman is a prisoner in her own body. She's got no idea what's going on around here, and she's nothing of her former self. She is BRAIN DEAD, meaning she can no longer function as a PERSON. She's been reduced to merely a BEING, something lying in a bed, unable to communicate with anyone or acknowledge anything going on around her.
Yes, I've seen the videos of her "responding" to her family. As Michael Schiavo's lawyer put it, you ask for a reaction 30 times, and nothing happens. On the 31st try, her body makes a movement or a sound, you edit the video to show only that, and of course it looks like she's responding. It's bunk.
I've seen her before pictures and heard testimonials about her personality before the incident that left her this way. I don't think she'd want to be kept alive artifically - *I* wouldn't want to be kept alive in that condition.
And, yes, she IS being kept alive artificially. She can breathe on her own, sure, but she cannot feed herself. That is something that brings about death to a person.
For example, people with degenerative diseases like Lou Gehrig's and Parkinson's disease all get to the point where they lose ablities to function a bit at a time, until they eventually get to the point where they can't even swallow? Is it feasible to hook them up to a feeding tube at that point? And when they can't breathe on their own anymore, would it make sense to put them on a ventilator?
I feel bad for Schiavo's parents - I really, truly do. But they need to LET GO. Her daughter is GONE. All they have of her is her shell. Her spirit, her soul have moved on. They're being selfish in keeping her alive. They're not doing it for *her*, they're doing it for themselves because they're not ready to say goodbye.
I applaud Schiavo's husband for not giving in and insisting on doing what his wife would have wanted. The amount of money he won for her care is not worth what he's going through in order to carry out her wishes. I'm sure those funds have been all but depleted with the care of Schiavo, and the lawyer bills.
I could go on and on about this and why I feel the way I do, but I really do have to get going. Maybe I'll write about it in my own blog.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home