An End Of An Era?
I just heard the news that the Pope has died.
You know, I am not Catholic. I know several wonderful people who are and I can only imagine how this impacts their faith @ this time. I consider myself spiritual, although not highly religious and my thoughts and prayers are with my friends during this difficult time for them.
But I've been thinking back...John Paul II is the only Pope I can ever remember in my life. And I am getting on in my years! I can't help but RESPECT the man. I always had respect for him, even as a child. He was always so noble looking in all his Papal glory..the robes, the hat, the staff. He was so CUTE, too...back 20 years ago when he was able to move freely and travel extensively. Such a warm smile and the public ADORED him. I remember CRYING when I heard that someone tried to assassinate him in 1981. I was 9. I couldn't understand at that point WHY someone would want to kill such a Holy Man? In all reality, I couldn't understand why anyone would want to kill ANOTHER HUMAN BEING period? Sometimes in my own mind, I still can't understand it? I know there's hatred in the world, but the Pope always seemed to stand up in the face of hate, anger, and political unrest. Whenever there was an issue that divided the people of the world and was important enough to make it onto the evening news, sometimes he would be there. He traveled the world with his message of hope and peace. I am not a Catholic, but I can respect their message and their beliefs.
It will be somewhat of a learning experience for me to follow this development through research and news items. I am always open to learning new things and studying new cultures and religions. And to see how this affects the lives of His People.
Religion and faith are strong things in peoples lives. It can give them hope when they are downtrodden. It can lift their spirits when they are sad. It can give them the strength to face another day. I know I did my fair share of getting to know The Big Guy when I've been faced with disasters and defeat in my life, whether it be mine, my family's' or my friends'. Everything happens for a reason and I am very interested to see where things go from here...not just with the passing of The Pope, but with everything that we're all faced with everyday.
Life's not a destination...it's a neverending journey. Sometimes there's rocks in the road and sometimes it's fair weather and smooth sailing....but everyone's journey is different. I think we all need to respect this more than we do.
Peace be with You...






2 Comments:
Hi Jodi,
The death of Pope John Paul II is indeed very hard to take. At mass every week, prayer intentions were put out for the Pope...for his health and well being, for his continuing mission of serving the Lord and his people.
These intentions will now be held for him to enter the gates of heaven. I'm positive that Jesus met him at the gates and welcomed him. The Pope lived for God and people everywhere. Spreading the word of Jesus at mass and by praying the rosary to Mary.
When the Pope recovered from the asassination attempt, he met up with the man who tried it. Very moving.
A good place to learn a bit more about the Pope and his legacy is at: www.vatican.va
Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace.
Amen.
Take care.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home