Bullshit & Magic Moments

"I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THAT LIFE IS MADE OF THIS" ---The thoughts, hopes, dreams, complaints, grievences, and other various outbursts of a 30-something native Arizonan wife/Mother/friend/kindred spirit/cancer survivor--AND UNDIAGNOSED RAVING LUNATIC!!!(Most all images "borrowed" from Google Images-muchas gracias!)

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Welcome (BACK) to the Blackboard Jungle!


glitter-graphics.com


Wow. Three quarters of the year is almost gone. Since I’ve come into adulthood MANY years ago, I have noticed that time flies whether you’re having fun or not. I don’t think I’ve actually BEEN BORED in over 20 years. There’s always some tedious task that needs doing – whether you enjoy it or not.


So autumn is finally upon us. That’s great news, as, for some reason, I seem to be in an entirely different mindset during the fall. I think it’s because TECHNICALLY I have a fall birthday even though it’s early on in the holiday season. I just seem to feel like I “fit in “ more with my surroundings. It’s not sickeningly sweltering like in the summer, my allergies aren’t too overly active like they are in the Spring and I don’t have to bitch about the heating bill and the fact that the kids are stuck inside with Cabin Fever driving me CRAY-ZAY all winter long. I just LOVE me some fall! :o)


With that said – let’s recap the week! I went back to college. I had to juggle and finagle my schedule until it was just right, dropping this class and adding that one. FINALLY I got it how I want it. Mind you all of these are night classes – JUST IN CASE I need to go back to work. I won’t make as much working as I do collecting the “Government Cheese”, so why do it? But anyhow – here goes….


MON: Spanish for Medical Professionals. My friend “J” thinks that this is funny that down here in “Beanerville” (and I mean it LOVINGLY, people – Arizona has a LOT of Mexicans!), we actually still teach formal Spanish classes. But, I gotta have it for the certificate and our teacher is just the cutest little 20-something white boy who is a former missionary in Argentina. He’s got a class full of 22 WOMEN (most of us over age 25) to teach; I can’t wait to see just how discombobulated he gets!


TUES: Introduction To Medical Coding. This is one of those “ITV” classes – meaning our teacher is in another town and we can all see each other back and forth over an Internet connection. I think I will like this class – if I could ever afford the 3 books I have to purchase for it.


WED: Phlebotomy. Now I hate needles. With a purple passion on a Monday morning. But I think that as long as I am not sticking myself, being a “vampire” or “bee bite tech” won’t bother me too much. Wednesday night is lecture for this class. It doesn’t actually start until 9/5, so I don’t have much to report here.


THURS: Intro to Health Care Fundamentals. This class, I’m going to like. Lots of discussion, a research paper, lots of paper crunching! This is also the only class so far that I’ve attended that has any males in it. Not to mention that my Aunt “MO” is also in this class. She’s been off work since June after having her knee replaced and says she’s just taking this class to stay caught up on current info because she’s a C.N.A. and NEEDS to. I think it’s just because she needs to get away from my “DEE DEE DEE” dimwitted idiot-savant cousins. In which case, I don’t blame her. There’s something amiss with the male genes in our family and those boys ain’t right. They ain’t been right and they ain’t never gonna BE right. Thank the Lord I never had SONS! I love my family, I do, but there are just some truths that are harsh and unavoidable!



I have Fridays and Sundays off from classes. I also will have a lab for Phlebotomy on Saturdays starting on 9/8 that goes from 1p-3p. I just don’t think I would mind any of this much except that the college campus is like 13 miles from my house and with the Medical Assistant and Medical Coding certificate programs being NEW this semester, they haven’t branched the classes out to the satellite campuses yet. That’s a lot of driving back and forth in a piece of shit car that sucks gas like a crack head on a pipe. I am making a LOT of sacrifices over the next three and a half months – with my time, my money and my psychological well-being. I just hope it’s all worth it in the end and that someday, somewhere down the line, my children will FORGIVE me.


It just feels weird being in school after 12 years. Everything is SO different – like “Black Board”. But at least I am NOT alone. There are several “older” women in the classes that I identify with. I might even try to wrangle together a Friday Night Margie/Study Party? Who knows? At least we’d all be LEGAL. (:-D


And my husband’s favorite new joke? “*I’M* sleeping with a COLLEGE GIRL!” >:-)~


Oy.


Wish me luck – I’m gonna need it.

2 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, September 02, 2007 , Blogger none said...

those sound like some fun classes.

Isn't phlebotmy when they used to bleed people with leeches? ;)

 
At 1:39 PM, September 03, 2007 , Blogger *~JoDi~* said...

Hey Hammer! Great to see ya!

You are partially correct; back in the 15th century, phlebotomy DID INDEED refer to BLOODLETTING - whether it be by leaches or any other measure.

Today, the word phlebotomy is used in more of a modern context of the act or practice of opening a vein for letting blood as a therapeutic measure - taking blood samples.

I am learning so much interesting info about the history of medicine - I am thinking I might rather be a TEACHER someday rather than actually WORKING IN MEDICINE?

Who knows? Have a great Labor Day, Man! :o)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home